Sunday, November 21, 2004

Parkin (Lancashire/Yorkshire?)

Just thought I'd add this. We made it on Bonfire Night, and we intend to do it again. I got the recipe from Jill Robinson, Maeve's boyfriend's mum. I think it's from a book. It said is was Lancashire Parkin. I thought parkin was always Yorkshire. She said the secret ingredient is marmalade. It is better that any parkin that I have had before. Even the children liked it.

In a pan melt:
100g (4oz) margarine or butter
200g (8oz) black treacle
75g (3oz) soft brown sugar
1 tbsp marmalade
Add: ¼ pint milk and
1 egg
In a bowl, mix:
75g (3oz) wholemeal flour
75g (3oz) self-raising flour
50g (2oz) medium oatmeal
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
Pinch of bicarbonate of soda
Add wet to dry ingredients and pour into greased and lined 8” square tin.
Bake at 180 C / gas 4 for 45 to 50 minutes.
Allow to cool in tin.
Cut into squares.


1 Comments:

Blogger dottyspots said...

mmmmmm, parkin....

6:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home