Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Apple chutney

Just been asked for some apple recipes for a recipe book for Apple Day next weekend at Callis and Stubbing Wharf, 24th October.

I made this for my friends last winter solstice- it was much appreciated. I still have some left, which has kept, in the jar. Nice with cheese, eg, brie and crackers, but I have had reports of people just having it on bread on it's own. I've never made chuney before, but it was dead easy. I just had to keep it bubbling till it set, which you test by taking out a teaspoonful and putting it onto a cold plate. I made it in a cast-iron pan, but sure any pan will do.

Makes 3 lb (1.5 kg)

2 lb (900g) cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
8 oz (225) sultanas, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp ground ginger
3/4 pint (450ml) vinegar
1 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
1 lb (450g) soft brown sugar

Put apples, sultanas, onion, lemon, ginger, and half the vinegar in pan, bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Add caraway seeds, vinegar and sugar and simmer till chutney thickens, (which can be an hour or so). Pour into warmed jars.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home